Login | Register

It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 am

Post subject: Warfare
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 am 
DM

Since I have oodles of spare time (or in part because I do not) I have rewritten the war system and added it as a module to the GMS. The system effectively allows me to, with the assistance of the computer, to resolve war moves in minutes.

The system is adapted from Richard Bodley Scott's PBM UMPIRE Campaign System. A version of this system has been trialed in a previous game (not a bzorch game) so is not an entirely untested concept.

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Nothing really, aside from the Domain Action - Move Troops required to engage the opposing forces. I will interpret any descriptions in your actions/notes or contingencies and make them fit the system. So if what follows is confusing or 'not your thing' then don't worry about it.

If this is something you're interested in then read on.

ORDERS
These are broken into two parts, Risk Factor and Default Order. If no orders are provided the default orders are 2D.

Risk Factor
The risk factor determines how eager your troops are to join battle given the relative strength of the opposing side.
3) Aggressive - Engage the enemy even if the enemy outnumbers me (up to 125%)
2) Balanced - Engage the enemy if my force is equal or greater than the enemy
1) Conservative - Engage the enemy only if I outnumber the enemy (by 125%)

Default Order
The goal of course is to engage the enemy however in the event that you consider yourself outmatched the default order indicates what your troops will do in this situation.
D) Defend allied fortified holding or province, if no fortification retreat
R) Retreat to adjacent province
M) Maneuver to avoid battle but remain in province

THE WAR MOVE. (One war move equals one week)
- Determine Battle
- Maneuvering for Battle
- Combat Resolution
- Morale Check

DETERMINING BATTLE
The risk factors of both forces are compared to determine whether or not Obviously based on the risk factors and relative strengths of the opposing sides both may wish to join battle or both may refuse it. In the event that one side wishes to join battle and the other does not then both forces make a maneuver check to determine if battle is joined. If the side that wishes to join battle scores higher in the maneuver check then we move to the combat resolution phase. If the side that wishes to refuse battle scores higher they act based on their default order.

MANEUVERING FOR BATTLE
The average movement rating of the opposing sides is added to any bonuses and a die is rolled.
The movement rating of a particular unit is based on the prevailing terrain in which the battle is being fought. As you can imagine mounted units have the advantage in open territory such as hills and plains, irregular units do better in heavy terrain such as forests and swamps, with regular foot troops somewhere in the middle.
Even if both forces seek battle a maneuver check is still made and the successful side gains a small advantage in the combat resolution phase indicating their success in outmaneuvering their opponent, this is initiative.

COMBAT RESOLUTION
The sum of each units combat rating is added to any bonuses (including the intiative bonus) and a die is rolled. The highest result decides who wins combat.
Depending on the number of units involved in the battle, the combined risk factors of both sides and the difference between the respective combat rolls determines the number of potential hits. The side that lost combat is assigned 2/3 of these potential hits the winner the remainder (1/3).

MORALE CHECK
For each side the potential hits are then divided amongst the individual units one a piece as evenly as possible. If an order of battle is indicated then this will be used otherwise it's random. (i.e. Knights, Infantry, Infantry. if 4 hits then 2 hits are assigned to the Knights and 1 each to each of the Infantry units)
For each potential hit a morale check must be made by that unit. Typically units with good morale are the same as what you would find in the BRCS. Defense is another contributing factor, however high defense units are generally the same as those with high morale.
If the morale check is unsuccessful then the potential hit becomes a real hit. Units can sustain a single hit and still fight on however a second hit indicates the unit has either lost too many men to continue as a fighting force or have been routed.

CHARACTERS
Characters provide bonuses to Maneuver, Initiative, Combat and Morale either to individual units or army wide. From a rules perspective they do not fight, although it is assumed that they do. Depending on the outcome of the battle there remains a chance that any characters involved will be killed or injured.
The skills feats and blood abilities that provide bonuses are
(MV=Maneuver, CR=Combat Resolution, IN=Initiative, MR=Morale)
Skills
- Warcraft (MV Check, +1 CR per 5 skill points)
- Profession (Sailor) (MV Check)
- Lead (+1 CR per 10 skill points)
Freats
- Military Genius (+2 MV, +2 IN, +4 CR)
Bloodabilities
- Battlewise {+1 MR all units)
- Courage (+6 MR to unit that character leads)

SIEGE
Sieges follow all the same rules as above with the following exceptions.
There is no maneuver phase.
Fortification levels are added as a bonus to the defenders morale checks.
Every ten attacking units reduce the defenders fortification bonus to morale checks by one
Every artillery unit reduces the defenders fortification bonus to morale checks by one

ASSAULT
The player may specify that they wish to assault fortifications rather than besieging them (the default)
Assaults follow the same rules as a siege with the following exceptions.
The bonus provided by the fortification levels to the defenders morale checks is halved
The attackers make their morale checks at a penalty equivalent to half the fortification levels.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Warfare
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 am 
Yeoman

Realm and Rank: Thane of Talinie, Supreme Hierarch of the NIT
Does the system take into account cavalry units' abiility to run down (i.e. kill) fleeing units at the end of a battle?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:21 am 
DM

No.
However cavalry units make it more likely that you will outmaneuver the enemy and force them to battle again if there a war moves available.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:16 pm 
Yeoman

Realm and Rank: Duke of Alamie
Michael wrote:
The sum of each units combat rating is added to any bonuses (including the intiative bonus) and a die is rolled. The highest result decides who wins combat.

How do you determine when to implement a Pike melee bonus vs mounted, or Infantry vs Irr & Pike? Or a knight charge bonuse? Do you assume the winner of the manuver round has placed his troops in such a manner as to gain the bonuses, while the looser does not?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:33 pm 
DM

There are no such bonuses. The overhead of implementing such granular bonuses is to high.

The respective battlefield commanders are expected to have attempted to place their troops to take such situational bonuses into account. The side outmaneuvered already suffers the initiative penalty (in other words doesn't get the initiative bonus) to indicate it has not done so well at this.

I will at some point post the profiles of each unit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 pm 
Page

Realm and Rank: Count of Endier
Michael, I've still got the original unit data you first did for me a couple years ago, all written up as a table in bb code and saved away in a word document somewhere if you want it.

Paeghan Morilie, Endier's representative in the Imperial Senate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:45 pm 
DM

That is very kind of you John. I've have since however spent some time streamlining the system a bit and as a result the unit profiles have changed a little. I'll try to get the anuirean units up this evening in some readable form.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:54 am 
DM

Code:
Unit              Plns  Hills Mtns  Frst  Swmp  Siege Sea  Mrl Must
Knights (An)      6/5   6/4   1/1   1/1   1/1   1/0   0/0   6   6
Cavalry (An)      4/6   4/5   1/1   1/1   1/1   1/0   0/0   4   4
Archers (An)      2/2   3/2   1/1   1/1   1/1   4/0   2/0   4   2
Engineer (An)     2/1   3/1   0/0   0/0   0/0   6/0   0/0   4   3
Infantry (An)     3/2   3/2   2/1   2/1   1/1   2/0   1/0   4   2
Inf, Elite (An)   4/2   4/2   3/1   3/1   1/1   3/0   1/0   5   4